Glaciar Nieves Negras (english)
The right time for trekking is between the months of October, when they open the vehicular road to the Termas de Colina, and May, when closed by the first snowfall. If you want to do in winter, 'walk from Lo Valdes, consider two to three days of walking.
From Santiago, you should take Route G-25 at Cajon del Maipo. From the junction of Vizcachas, are 47 miles paved in good to the control of police of San Gabriel (telephone 8611008 and 8612290, should you wish to check the status of the road, although the responses are to be too "conservative"). Then are 1.1 kilometers of pavement to the confluence of the Maipo Gypsum. Immediately after the bridge starts on gravel whose state depends on the length of time without being arranged by equipment for roads, but it is usually state regular. After 18 kilometers of gravel on the main road we arrive at the fork to Baños Morales, nestled on the north bank of the volcano. This is the last place where supplies. It must continue along the main road and not diverted to Baños Morales, after 1.5 kilometers from the bifurcation is passed through the mining town of San Gabriel. 6 kilometers below the bifurcation to Baños Morales, once thecostsof the Afflicted, you reach a bridge crossing the River Hill. 5.5 kilometers later, by a gravel road in regular state, you get the Termas de Colina
Public transport and hitchhiking
The municipal bus line (Turmaipo) conducts tours to Baños Morales. From October until 1 January, the bus departs on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. A count of the first of January until 15 March, a bus leaves every day. The exit is on the Metrobus Terminal Bellavista de la Florida (penultimate station on subway line 5). If you have questions subway guards can help. The return value of the passage to Banos Morales is $ 6,000 (the amount in Turmaipo confirm: 8611518 to 8612450, or their website). There are rates for intermediate lengths. The output bus from the terminal is performed at 8:30 and get a bus a day. You can also take this bus in Puente Alto, outside the station Las Mercedes, where the bus passes close at 8:50. For San Jose de Maipo passes around 9:35 and arrives at Baños Morales about 11 am. You'll recognize the bus by its number, "MB-72".
It is also possible to privately hire the minibus Turismontaña (8500555 / 8500783) or ARPU Tourism (6818475 and 09-9320108) and fix a price to the same starting point. Both made the previous booking service to Baños Morales. Depart from Baquedano Metro Station (Plaza Italia), a Telefonica side of the building.
This is an ideal place for camping. A little further north, the trail starts to rise due east, toward the border crossing Nieves Negras. At this point, it is possible to approach the glacier, but without a path to follow. It is strongly recommended to continue until the base of the glacier and then go about thirty minutes walking on the dirtier side of the glacier towards the summit of a pyramid of dark rock promontory. The view from here is simply wonderful, being in the middle of the glacier and without hindrance to cut off the view. It is 3220 meters, so they are vertical 2500 meters of ice which are headed. A special trip
- Trekking: In a normal pace, this trek should take about 3 hours to the base of the glacier and an additional half hour to viewpoint pyramidal weightless for the day. and approximately 5 to 7 hours, weighing, thinking of camping on site, as always, depending on individual conditions of each person. Consider two hours to return.
- Randonnée: Two and a half days, then must be added a day to go from Lo Valdes Hills and a half baths to return. This section is described in Lo Valdes - Termas de Colina.
Permits / Fees
- From the moment of opening the road vehicle (usually October) is to pay $ 6,000 per person to enter the baths.
- The best format for this trek is from a Friday evening to sleep in the hot springs (about two hours from Santiago) and relax the muscles in the pools overlooking the Andes night. Then from early Saturday, returning to the hot springs to bathe and return to Santiago the same day. Of course it is also possible from a Saturday, but in this case possibly the pools are much more full.
- There is water all along the way, so it is not necessary to load a lot.
- The river crossing Sulfur can be sensitive at the time of snowmelt (November to early January), but should not be an impediment to people with no particular aversion to this type of crosses.
Full path and waypoints in Google Earth
- Full path trekking the Glacier Snow Black. To download the file right-click and then select "Save file as" (IE) or "Save link as" (Firefox, Chrome). By trying to open it directly, some browsers will show the raw code with the coordinates.