GPT28H (La Tapera)
Add a new log entry always on top in the appropriate season sub-chapter and use format:
* Start Date to Finish Date (use Format YYYY-MMM-DD) / Duration in Days / Hiking or Packrafting / Travel Direction (SOBO for Southbound or NOBO Northbound) / Chosen Route and/or Option Name (RR for Regular Route) / Names or Alias
Summary with remarks to route that are considered useful for other hikers and packrafters. Include alerts, suggestions and personal perception of attractiveness and difficulties.
Add a sub-chapter by placing two "=" before and after the new sub-chapter heading ('==Sub-Chapter Heading==').
- 1 Section Log, Alerts and Suggestions
- 2 Resupply and Accommodation
- 3 Transport to and from Route
- 4 Permits, Entry Fees and Right-of-Way Issues
- 5 Links to other Resources
- 6 Images
Section Log, Alerts and Suggestions
- Update Jan Dudeck November 2023: A bridge had been build over Rio Cisnes. This makes the route suitable somewhat earlier in the season. Also, the minor road is improved and partly re-routed.
From 2023-02-03 to 2023-02-04 // 2 days // Hiking // NOBO // RR // Quentin Clavel
This section is composed all the way of minor road, very easy to follow, it was pretty pleasant and smooth !
Few fords/rivers to cross, all of them easy. Even more at this time of the year, I haven't got any trouble. Deepest one was Rio Cisnes, just at the beginning of the section, after La Tapera, hip level but not big current. End of the section on a smaller horse track then on the gravel road till Lago Verde.
Minimarket in Lago Verde, with pretty much everything you need. Happy to find gaz there ! And you can pay with CC.
Haven't seen any bridge as mentionned by radio Santa Maria. Not exactly sure where it is, and not sure it's above Rio cisnes, but maybe above Rio Cáceres.
But yeah, few kilometers after La tapera you're following and crossing a big building area, and they're constructing the road.
- General Recommendation: Rio Cisnes at La Tapera is normally not fordable early in the season. Best to wait until January & go NOBO. If you can cross Rio Cisnes the other fords should be easy.
- 2023-Mar-15 to 2023-Mar-17 / 2.5 days / Hiking / SOBO / RR / Martin & Helena
Definitely one of the easiest sections. Its basically all MR walking, but we were again surprised by the surrounding landscape that we found really attractive actually.
Just a few comments: at the settlement km 4 you need to leave the MR, and from there its more like a trail until the settlement 3 kms further. Camp at km 12.9 is nice and very similiar place is behind the ford (very easy), before the start of the ascent. Ford 39.4 can be done without entering the property of settlement, MR crosses the river before the entrance. No water at km 42.5 at this time, the next one was near the puesto km 45.4. No problem with other fords in mid March.
In La Tapera are a few shops, nothing big, but enough to resupply. Two places with comidas - completos, sandwiches and other fast-food things. One of them accepts cc. Also at least 2 accommodations, one of them was full, but the other was in a blue house, cost 15k CLP pp with wifi and hot water, nice and clean + amazing guests.
Contact: @martin_hanzelka @helenneka
- 2023 Feb-1 NOBO 2 days Frank
Rio Cisnes was easily fordable in early February, less than knee deep. I was surprised how much it had dropped - in November it was head height. All fords less than knee deep when I went through. Early on day 2 I reached a settlement at ford 39.4. Don't ford the river here but go right just before the ford on a small road which leads to another, easier ford & bypasses the settlement. You rejoin the RR after the easier ford. When you are nearing Lago Verde it's quicker to go left on the optional route which leads straight to Lago Verde without going through Argentina. You go through a puesto but there was no one there.
Resupply and Accommodation
Resupply and Accommodation in nearby Towns
- There is a supermarket on the square in Lago Verde. A couple of small & very basic shops in La Tapera.
- A couple of cafes in La Tapera. The hostal by the square in Lago Verde does a good evening meal.
- No exchange facilities in La Tapera or Lago Verde. You can pay with CC in some places but best to bring cash.
Resupply and Accommodation along the Route
Transport to and from Route
- There is a bus at 10AM on Wednesday, Friday & Sunday from Coyhaique to La Tapera. It returns from La Tapera to Coyhaique on the same afternoons.
- There are two buses a week from Lago Verde to La Junta on the Carratera Austral or you can hitch. Not too many vehicles but they usually stop.
Permits, Entry Fees and Right-of-Way Issues
Links to other Resources
Retired Section Article GPT28H - La Tapera