Cerro el Roble (ruta vehicular) (english)
This trek can be done year round, but the ideal time is May, when the Oak trees are red, orange, and yellow. The winter months are also good when the Andes are covered in snow, and there is a beautiful view to the Aconcagua and company. For those who chose to ascend by bike, you should be careful in those days that just after a front of bad weather, snow has fallen on the peak. During those days (4 or 5 days a year) it can be necessary to carry your bike on the final stretch.
From Santiago, take Ruta 5 (Route 5) to the north. The detour to Rungue is at kilometer 54. Take that exit and enter the town. Where the street where you came from ends, turn left, and after a few meters turn right (the street ends anyways) to cross a stream. Immediately after having crossed the stream, turn left, and start bordering the stream on a dirt road which is in good state. You will then border the Runge dam. After 3,9 km from route 5, you will see a detour to the right ("A Caleu) which you must take. This road, also a dirt road in good state (any vehicle can pass), penetrates the valley and progressively ascends. Approximately 11 km from the detour (14,9 from Route 5), you will have reached Caleu and you will see a fork: take the left, which will keep ascending on the hillside. 970 meters higher, little before the pass to the valley of Olmué, is the road to El Roble to the right.
Puclic Transportation and Hitchiking
From La Paz bus terminal, located in Avenida La Paz with the street of Dávila Baeza, buses leave daily to Til Til, from 6 am and every 15 minutes. At 4 PM, a bus leaves destined to Caleu. The fare is 1.600 CLP. Many cars use this road, so the possibilities of hitching a ride are quite good.
- Trekking: 4 hours from the gate. It is possible to continue a little more by car and reduce the walking time.
- Mountain Bike: 2,5 hours from the gate.
- 1.500 CLP per person must be paid to enter. The door is open on weekends and holidays from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you want to cross the gate by vehicle on a weekday, you must call 84759457 or 87231141 (both mobile phones).
RecommendationsIt is recommended to do the ascent stretch on the vehicle road when it has snowed in Santiago. It can be done in randonnée or rackets, low difficulty.
Route and Waypoints on Google Earth
- Ruta del Cerro El Roble. To download the file it is recommended to right click on "Save link as" (Firefox and Google Chrome).
- See all wikiexplora routes on Google Earth: In addition to dowloading the waypoints of a particular route, you may see on Google Earth all the Wkiexplora routes that have been published so far. It is ver easy, go to: Wikiexplora en Google Earth to see how to do it
- Meteochile Región de Valparaíso
- Accuweather Valparaíso
- Accuweather Viña del Mar
- Meteochile Región Metropolitana
- Accuweather Santiago
- Accuweather Puente Alto